time in a bottle

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Deep thoughts... and shallow moments!

Ahhh so the week has arrived -- high stakes testing week in Louisiana. I was nervous, then I got over myself and just put it in God's hands. I have done my job. We can only work with what we get. We only have so much influence, and so many hours in the day. Many of my friends have sent messages of encouragement, I think they know how pressurized I generally feel this time of year (lol!). No matter what happens though, I know, that at the end of the day, I have poured myself out for my students.

However the most important message I got this week, was from my sister, and it was something my MUCH older, lol, and wiser brother in law had shared with Kim. This is NOT the test that tells us if we get into heaven or not... Wow! He is right. This is not the most important test in the world. This test is a small measure of some 'successes, and even in some cases where it may look like a failure, if you take a good look at what they came to us with, we will see growth. However it does not measure maturity, it does not measure kindness or patience, it does not even take into account life issues that children have dealt with. It is just a measure.

I am so glad that Kim shared Bryan's statement with me. It was a "lightbulb moment" for me. It reminded me, that we are working with little humans, not just numbers. And most of all, it reminded me to trudge ahead this week, and try to use an extra dose of patience, kindness, and gentleness in the classroom, as I know these littles are feeling the weight of "the test." Father God, as always, open my eyes, that I may see your plans more clearly....

Whatever your "tests or trials" are this week, I pray that you remember that there is a bigger test in life... and if we fail, in the way we treat people... all other tests really don't matter much! Peace

No comments: