time in a bottle

Sunday, April 17, 2011

How Jack & Jill's Exchange Works


Lots of peeps are wanting to bring in items & clothes... So I just wanted to go over how it works and give you a heads up as to how I decide how much credit I give etc.... All I ask is you don't waste my time, if you read through all this and follow our criteria then hopefully your time won't be wasted either.

#1. Items must be CLEAN, and free of STAINS, RIPS, TEARS or excessive wear... if you DRYER burn your clothes, then I can not use them. If I start going through your items and the first 4 or 5 items have stains, then I put them back in the bag... & move on to someone elses. I literally work 10 to 12 hours everyday, so I don't have time looking thru 30+ items to find 2 or 3 good ones & I would NOT EXPECT anyone to do that for me, it's selfish.

#2. In-season Namebrand items take precedence... I don't particularly like to store out of season items but I will. I don't give as much credit for out of season items.

#3. I am pretty up to date on tags & what years items were sold in the store... a five yr old gymboree or gap item is not valued the same as last seasons... I hope that makes sense...

#4. Things that are as long as they are wide, look awkward. So if the item has shrunk considerably, I can't use it.

#5. NO MISSING buttons or snaps. NO cigarette smoke. People do not like their newborn babies or children smelling like smoke... Tide febreeze does a good job of taking that smell out, if you do happen to smoke, it may help.

When I decide on a price, I consider retail price, the amt of wear on an item (Fading, wash/wear, quality &resale value).... I try to be generous especially if your items are hangar ready and i do not have to wash them (if I seen animal hair, or pick up an odd smell I wash them!), but we do have to make some sort of profit... my building, elec, water, and workers run me nearly $2K a month...+ I do buy items NOT clothes, so after the $2800 I spend a mo., anything left over is profit. Currently I tithe about $350 of it to church, pay KLOVE radio station $30 a mo, go on mission trips, put together Christmas & Thanksgiving baskets etc. So your investment in our store almost always goes back to the community... I am blessed to do what I love & glorify God so that makes it worth it!

On clothes I ONLY give credit, on big items, these days it is mostly credit, sometimes I can give cash/credit for big items if they are in superb condition and quick sellers. It sort of depends on demand of the item. Thanks so much, peace...

No comments: